About Nutter Consulting
Nutter Consulting is a boutique smart cities and sustainability consulting firm. We help cities, businesses, foundations and nonprofits achieve their goals through new uses of technology and data. Nutter Consulting has led smart and sustainable cities initiatives at every level, from comprehensive strategic plans to targeted projects implementation addressing renewable energy, water conservation, energy efficiency, shared mobility, , green infrastructure, urban parks, and digital equity. As one of the first consulting firms established in the US focused on smart and sustainable city consulting in 2014, our firm leverages a knowledge-base that spans the wide variety of expertise areas that fall under the umbrella of smart city activities.
Over the past 5 years, Nutter Consulting has served 23 clients including large and small cities, national foundations and regional non-profits. Ranging from developing the Smart Tech Milwaukee smart cities strategy for the City of Milwaukee, to the Shared-Mobility Climate and Equity Action Plan for the City of Los Angeles to the Bay Smart Communities for a Sustainable Future white paper for Save the Bay, Nutter Consulting has been instrumental in helping our clients advance their goals.
As a smart cities advisor and partner, Nutter Consulting:
- Offers a high level of subject expertise and topical knowledge to any smart cities project team that will help accelerate the work
- Possesses smart cities project and program knowledge that is grounded in real-world experience with cities in the United States and Europe
- Applies a consistent framework and process for developing smart city strategic plans
- Employs an empathetic listening style to understand the needs of cities and their staff in order to identify goals and create meaningful outcomes
- Brings valuable familiarity and understanding of local government processes to create an innovative solution-based approach to change management
- Deploys a stakeholder engagement approach that is rooted in grassroots organizing – meeting people “where they are at” and offering new ideas and approaches in a collaborative, open environment
- Facilitates focused working groups that include a diverse set of stakeholders including small businesses, academia, the nonprofit sector, government staff, and elected officials
- Connects existing city plans (Climate Action Plans, Economic Development Strategies, Transportation Planning documents, etc) to connect and inform new strategic initiatives for a cross-sector approach
- Provides research, writing, and graphic design to create final deliverables that encompass the organization’s goals and strategic plan
- Is led by an effective and pragmatic strategist focused on creating tangible benefits
Nutter Consulting specializes in advancing carbon emission reduction and climate adaptation efforts through program development, strategic planning, public policy development, communications, media strategy and coalition building.
Our Core Services
Strategic Plan Development: Project-specific and comprehensive
We have provided strategic plan development for clients on programs of varying scopes, from comprehensive plans to targeted projects addressing many topics including climate mitigation, climate adaptation, water conservation, energy efficiency, mobility options and digital access.
To develop a client’s strategic plan, we work directly with city staff to understand their community goals and objectives. By leveraging best practices and case studies from similar successful initiatives around the world and incorporating a local understanding, we are able to propose cross-sector solutions with secondary benefits including economic growth and equitable outcomes.
We distill strategies and technical specifications into language that can be easily understood by public officials at every level of governance and by private citizens in the community. Making this information clear and accessible helps to empower both technical and non-technical city staff and policymakers with the information they need to act.
Stakeholder Engagement and Public Outreach
Drawing on decades of grassroots organizing experience as well as employment in the non-profit, private and government sectors, the team at Nutter Consulting has developed a unique skill set that allows us to bridge communication gaps among diverse stakeholders and engage multiple viewpoints.
Nutter Consulting has involved a variety of stakeholders in previous projects to leverage expertise and increase support and awareness. In previous client projects, Nutter Consulting has been selected as the lead manager to co-create final deliverables with a group of stakeholders. Working with the city to evaluate goals and a projected deadline, we created a project timeline, including regular conference calls and work plans for individual partners. While working with technical partners, we provide editing and writing services to ensure that the language is accessible and useful for municipal practitioners and other stakeholders.
Graphic Design and Material Production
Our team has created graphically engaging materials that have been published and distributed by cities across the country. To make our designs powerful, clear and effective, Nutter Consulting employs the following principles:
- Dive deep into the client’s goals and objectives to development design goals
- Utilize unique stylistic elements, such as font and color scheme, to reflect the client and content in the developed materials
- Employ a user-centric approach to tailor content to the intended end-user, defining and limiting technical language as needed
Materials we have produced include:
- Infographics to communicate key features of a government’s initiative
- Digital and print event advertisements for community engagement events
- Dynamic speaker presentations for conferences and workshops that are visually driven
- Engaging and modern final deliverables, including white papers, reports, and presentations that clearly communicate complex content
We create graphically-driven informational resources for our clients to effectively and powerfully communicate program information to the public.